Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant to Get to but Didn't

TTT is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Head on over there for a huge link up!

I've never participated in a Top Ten Tuesday post before, but this theme (Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant to Get to but Didn't) sounded like so much fun, I couldn't resist!

FIRST, here are few books that don't quite apply because, although I haven't actually finished them, I am currently reading them (I do REALLY wish I had started many of them sooner or AT LEAST finished them by the end of 2015):

Most Dangerous by Steven Sheinkin
The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz
Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge

Audacity by Melanie Crowder
The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oakes
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

 Razorhurst by Justine Larbalestier
Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley

Without further ado, here's my official list of Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant to Get to but Didn't in increasing degrees of regret of "WHY DID I NOT JUST SIT DOWN AND READ THAT BOOK?!?!"

#10. This Stranger Wilderness: The Life and Art of John James Audubon by Nancy Plain
I didn't know about this book until it was listed as a finalist for YALSA's Nonfiction Award, but I find Audubon fascinating and am intrigued by this biography about him.  I had my library's copy checked out for ages but never got to it.

#9. The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle
The plot is so intriguing and sounds right up my alley.  I've heard it has similarities to Bone Gap, my favorite novel of the year, and some people I trust really loved it.  

#8. A Thousand Nights by E. K. Johnston
Again, heard great things about this, love Arabian Nights retellings, and have wanted to read an E. K. Johnston novel, just never found the time.

#7. The Marvels by Brian Selznick
I've loved everything Selznick's done, and from what I've heard about The Marvels, it sounds like this has the potential to be my favorite Selznick book yet, but he's such a popular author, it's been hard to come by a copy in my library's system!

#6. These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
Donnelly wrote one of my very favorite books, Revolution, and I LOVE mysteries, especially historic mysteries, but this book is just SO huge, and I am easily intimidated.

#5. The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow
I really like Bow's writing, and this novel sounds super intriguing. (I've heard it particularly has some great characters).

#4. Symphony for the City of the Dead by M.T. Anderson
This book intimidates me like no other.  It's long and non-fiction and Anderson is a very literary writer.  I still definitely want to read it, I just need to find my courage (and attention span)!

#3. The Ghosts of Heaven by Marcus Sedgwick
I checked this one out back when it was published at the beginning of the year because I adores Sedgwick's novels, but it soon was replaced by newer shinier things that seemed more pressing.  Now that it's gotten a Printz honor, I'm going to get to it right away!

#2. Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan
I've had this audiobook checked out since my library got it about 2 months ago.  Everybody was talking about how good it was, I fully expected it to show up on the Newbery list when it was announced, but I just never started the novel.  As soon as I finish listening to Ask the Passengers, this is most definitely my next audiobook!

#1. Out of Darkness by Ashley Hope Pérez
This was my out-of-left-field Printz honor prediction for 2015.  The second I heard about it, I thought "PRINTZ!"  I try to have the award winners read before the announcements, and I had a weird confidence in this book, but I still never actually read it for some inexplicable reason.  It even sounds super interesting to me!  No excuses for not getting to this one.

2 comments:

  1. i've heard of many of these, one of them being symphony for the dead. that book sounds really intriguing! really cool post, i liked reading it!

    my TTT: http://nxrao.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-ten-tuesday-2015-releases-i-didnt.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a great taste of books! Red Queen is also in my list, cant wait to figure out the truth behind this superb buzz

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!